Should You Consider Family Law Mediation?
A divorce is one of the most emotionally exhausting processes that a couple can go through. During this stressful time, making rational decisions is often easier said than done. Many couples end up disagreeing on at least one thing during a divorce case, and often these conflicts must be resolved in court. There are alternatives to litigation, however, which allow couples to work out their differences in a more peaceful manner. Family law mediation with an experienced Beaufort attorney is an excellent way for couples to come together in a neutral environment and find solutions to their issues in a calm manner.
Mediation is a great tool for many couples facing complex family changes including divorce, child custody, alimony, and asset division. While mediation can be a fantastic solution, it is not the best option for everyone. Ultimately, you will want to speak with an attorney to determine if mediation is right for you, but in the meantime here are a few things to get you started:
Mediation is a good option for you if:
- You and your spouse have mutually chosen to separate
- There are minimal assets to divide
- You and your spouse still have amicable communication
- Neither of you wish to engage in a costly court battle
- You need to make changes to an existing child custody arrangement
Mediation may not be a good fit if:
- There is a history of abuse or violence in your relationship
- You or your spouse are contesting the divorce
- There are several valuable assets or business involved
- You do not have contact with your spouse or do not know his/her current location
- You cannot trust your spouse to honestly disclose financial statements
Working with a skilled mediator is an excellent way to resolve many kinds of family law issues, but it is important to assess your situation to see if it is an appropriate course of action. If you would like to learn more about mediation and how it can benefit your situation, please reach out to the legal team at Fender Law Firm.