Many laws that were created back in the day were regarding violations relevant to the time. As we’ve progressed into modern day, many of these laws still remain “on the books”, even if they seem obsolete.
Enjoy some of the strange SC laws:
- Horses may not be kept in bathtubs.
- It is illegal to change your clothes at a gas station without permission of the owner.
- A permit must be obtained to fire a missle.
- It is unlawful for any person to sleep on the beach between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and sunrise.
- It is perfectly legal to beat your wife on the court house steps on Sundays.
- You must be at least 18 years old to operate a pinball machine.
- It’s an offense to inadvertently kill someone while trying to commit suicide.
- Musical instruments may not be sold on Sunday.
Enjoy some of the other strange U.S. laws:
- If someone in Mohave County, AZ, is caught stealing soap, they must wash themselves with it until the soap is gone.
- If two trains meet at a crossing in Kansas, “both shall come to a full stop and neither shall start up again until the other has gone”.
- By law, only the first four firemen to arrive at a fire will be paid in Zeigler, Illinois.
- Ohio made buying ice cream on Sundays illegal, so local vendors put fruit on top to make it different and resulted in the modern day ice cream sundae.
- In Paulding, Ohio, policemen are allowed to bite a dog if they think it will keep it calm.
- It is illegal to throw a banana peel onto the street in in Waco, Texas, because a horse could slip.
- Bingo games may not last longer than five hours in North Carolina.
- You can be fined for harassing Bigfoot in the state of Washington.
Fender Law Firm | 1307 Prince Street, Historic Beaufort SC | (843) 379-4888